Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Wood Transfer

I saw a blog post from photojojo recently for an image transfer to wood.  It is a look that i really enjoy because I feel like it brings it a great earthy and natural feel to the art work.


Here is the original image that I used for this wood transfer. (You may be wondering what the image is of, it is of a purple bell pepper, a shot I did for a friend as a housewarming gift)



  • Start with a light wood - I found this great piece for 1.99 on clearance at Michael's, however they also had great canvas style plywood boxes that will make them easier to hang, I'll be using those down the road for sure
  • First you paint the ink jet printed image with medium gel (from the acrylic paint section of your art store)
  • Then you apply it to your wood piece using something like an old credit card or gift card to smooth out any air bubbles
  • Let it dry for 8 hours (I am not always the most patient person when it comes to exciting d.i.y projects so I started mine at night and it was ready to go in the am!)
  • Once it has dried completely you wrap a damp towel around the piece so the paper gets soaking wet and then you rub...
  • and you rub and rub and rub, then finish with Mod Podge when you have the look you want
  • Until finally...you have a great new addition to your home art collection or a great gift for a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment